What is a kidney stone?
Kidney stones are an aggregation of innumerable chemical substances dissolved in urine. When the concentration level of these substances reaches a particular point, they eventually crystallize into a permanent form and hence form stones. Kidney stones vary in size; sometimes they are too small to be felt or being noticed in the urinary tract. But otherwise, these can be as large as a golf ball. When the stone obstructs the urine flow, the ureter dilates and stretches causing muscle spasms giving rise to immense gripping pain in renal colic; felt in flank within the lower abdomen, groin, or leg of the affected side. Without treatment, kidney stones can lead to urinary problems, infections, and kidney failure.
A word regarding kidney pain:
During the formative stage, kidney stones often do not cause any kind of pain. However later as these get into a crystalline structure, they start giving pain. It also causes excruciating pain which becomes unbearable while it gets travels down the body on its own.
Types of kidney stone:
- Calcium oxalate
- Uric acid
The main causes of kidney stone:
- Drinking too little water in a day
- Excessive/ less exercise
- Weightloss surgery
- Having too much amount of salt/ sugar
- Family history
- Eating too much fructose correlates.
- Medical conditions
- Bowel conditions
Symptoms of kidney stones :
- Severe pain on either side of the lower back
- Unbearable stomach ache
- Blood in urine
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fever and chills
- Urine that has a bad smell or that certainly looks cloudy.
Blue Bliss hospitals provide diagnostic tests and procedures and surgeries such as the following:
- Blood tests
- Urine testing
- Imaging such as CT scan, ultrasound.
- Analyzing past kidney stones
- RIRS( Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery) for kidney stone
- URS( Ureterorenoscopic lithotripsy with holmium laser treatment for kidney stone
- ESWL( Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy
- PCNL( Percutaneous Nephrostolithotomy procedure)
Treatment of Kidney Stones
The urologist department at Blue bliss Hospital focuses on managing symptoms and removing the stone. Their treatment may involve :
- A high intake of fluids by mouth or intravenously
- Pain relief medications
- Medications to help speed up the passage of stones.
At Blue Bliss hospitals a team of Urologists works round-the-clock to deliver the best of treatments and solutions to their patients with accurate pain-free care. For many years following a routine manner, the department has performed a wide variety of urological surgeries-emergency, elective invasive, adult, and pediatric and also for benign and malignant conditions. hence it is one of the best hospitals for the treatment of kidney stones.